The participating universities can use SciMento-hessenweit as an advantage in the competition for highly qualified young female scientists. SciMento-hessenweit further provides the universities with an attractive support programme that constitutes an efficient instrument for human resource development and thereby strengthens scientific excellence in the entire county of Hesse. The evidence for such an effective support programme for women complies with the equality standards set by external funding bodies such as DFG, BMBF or the EU. Furthermore, this programme is an addition for female PhD students and postdocs to the graduate schools of universities and external research institutions.
In the vein of a classic win-win situation, various positive aspects arise for both mentees and mentors.
Benefits for Mentees (PhD Students and Postdocs)
- Extension of knowledge about structures, processes and (in)formal rules in the scientific community
- Development of strategies and goals for their own career paths
- Strengthening of managerial skills
- Development of useful contacts and networking in the scientific community
- Strengthening of personal, strategic and professional competencies
Benefits for Mentors
- Heightening awareness about the situation of young scientists
- Reflection upon their own career paths
- Extension of their contacts with promising young scientists
- Strengthening of managerial competencies and the ability to give advice
- New ideas and perspectives